Thursday, December 8, 2011

Dear Penpal...

Exciting news!  Today we started writing to our new penpals!  We don't know who they are yet, but we do know that they live in Utica, Ohio.  We worked hard today on a prewriting activity, filling boxes with ideas to share about family, school, beaches, and of course our hometown of Absecon.

Are you curious to know a little about our new mystery friends and their town?  So are we!  Here are some facts to get you started:
  • The Village of Utica (formerly called Wilmington), was founded in 1810 by Major William Robertson, seven years after Ohio became the 17th state.
  • Utica is nestled in a lush valley surrounded by tree-covered hills and rich agricultural land.
  • It would take about 9 hours to drive from Absecon to Utica.
  • The distance from Absecon to Utica is 533 miles.
  • Utica has an ice cream factory called Velvet Ice Cream Company.
  • They have an annual Velvet Ice Cream Parade and Festival, complete with ice cream eating contests and the crowning of the Velvet Festival Queen.
  • Utica students' first day of school is in August.  Their last day is usually in May!
  • Utica Elementary School has a lunch menu too!
  • Utica students go to school from 9:00a.m. until almost 3:30p.m.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i can not wait for my penpal to right back to me i worked very hard on my letter i wonder what my pen pals name is but, i'll find out soon!!!!


from
Ella

Anonymous said...

yummy ice cream i can't wait in till i hear from my pen pal i worked so hard on my letter im so exited from danielle

Anonymous said...

yummy ice cream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i want some!!!!!! ella

Anonymous said...

YUMMY ICE CREAM I LOVE IT I HOPE I TRY IT YUMMMMM
FROM DANIELLE

Post a Comment